The menopause, and perimenopausal phase are known for their wide ranging and often uncomfortable symptoms. The potential effects of the menopause are well known, and people going through it don’t need to suffer in silence as there are many different treatment options available. Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is a common treatment option available to the majority of UK women suffering the negative impact of menopausal symptoms.
For many women experiencing the menopause, HRT can be an effective way to lessen the impact of these symptoms, including but not limited to hair loss, hot flushes, anxiety, and night sweats, but HRT is not for everyone.
Menopause Without HRT
There are many reasons a person may choose not to take up HRT but instead look for alternatives. Many women seek a more natural approach to dealing with menopausal symptoms, and for some it is not an advisable option for medical reasons. Women with a history of breast, ovarian or womb cancer may be advised not to use HRT, also people with high blood pressure, or at higher risk of blot clots and stroke. If you have concerns about HRT and your health speak to your GP or consultant.
Alternatives to HRT
A range of HRT alternatives are available, some natural and some less so.
- Alternative prescription medicines - Such as Tibolone and Clonidine
- Homeopathic treatments - Including St John’s Wort, Ignatia, and Evening Primrose Oil
- The use of antidepressants and SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)
There are also practices you can take up yourself to help relieve some of the symptoms of menopause without the need for professional involvement.
- Ensuring a good diet - to keep bones and hair healthy, and stop weight increasing
- Regular exercise - to reduce hot flushes and improve sleep quality
- Staying hydrated - to keep cells healthy and functioning optimally
- Managing your stress - to help with hair condition, mood disfunction and rest
- Taking dietary supplements - to support your body and your hair through menopausal changes
- Reduce caffeine and alcohol intake - to help reduce hot flushes and for general health.
Menopause Hair Loss
One common symptom of the menopause and perimenopause which most natural treatments cannot help with is hair thinning, hair breakage, and hair loss.
The good news is that hair loss induced by menopause is not permanent, it will grow back. As with most hair loss caused by hormonal imbalance, with the right treatment and a bit of time, your hair can make a full recovery.
Hair Loss During Menopause
As levels of oestrogen and progesterone drop during the menopause, hair may grow thinner and more slowly. Over time hair follicles on the head start to shrink due to an increase in androgens being released into the body, furthering your hair loss and making hair regrowth more difficult.
HRT is thought to be beneficial for those experiencing hair loss and hair thinning during the menopause, but what if HRT is not for you or you simply don’t want it?
Often women struggle to find the right menopause hair loss help. Many natural HRT alternatives help deal with common menopause symptoms such as hot flushes and sleep issues, but the best products for menopausal hair loss are often just that, specific solutions for hair loss and hair thinning due to the onset of menopause or perimenopause.
Watch our video with Alexandra, Skincare Expert at Simone Thomas Wellness talks to Sarah, Founder of HIIT Pilates Studio on her struggle with menopause including menopausal hair loss and how she managed her symptoms.
Menopause Supplements for Hair Loss
Ginkgo Biloba is a natural supplement which helps to promote healthy hair growth and regrowth. It helps to reduce stress-related hair loss and helps maintain healthy circulation in the body.
The Simone Thomas Wellness Ginkgo Biloba B+ supplement also contains folic acid and B vitamins to help improve scalp circulation and promote healthy hair regrowth. Our specialised plan has been designed to be strong enough to stimulate hair growth, but gentle enough as to not cause scalp irritation or discomfort. Our Ginkgo 3-step hair care plan was voted No.1 Best Hair Loss Supplement by The Independent and is Vegan Certified.
The benefits of Ginkgo Biloba for menopause hair loss include:
- Supports healthy hair growth
- Reduces stress-related hair loss
- Maintains healthy circulation
- Reduces skin inflammation
- Fights anxiety and depression
- Additional benefits:
- Improves circulation and heart health
- Reduces symptoms of psychiatric disorders and dementia
- Improves brain function and well-being
- Can support vision and eye health
- Can help flight inflammation
- Contains powerful antioxidants
Menopause Supplements for Menopausal Symptoms
Simone Thomas Wellness are experts in managing menopausal hair loss and helping you grow strong healthy locks.
We are very much aware of the other tolls the menopause can take on a woman in a perimenopausal or menopausal state, so we have created a range of supplements to help with other menopausal symptoms, supporting your overall health and helping keep the symptoms of menopause in check.
SkinQuencher - Packed with marine collagen and Vitamin C to keep menopausal skin healthy.
What are the benefits?
- Improves sagging skin
- Easily absorbed in the blood stream
- Promotes and supports natural collagen production in the skin
- Younger looking skin overall
- Type 1 collagen constitutes to about 80-90% of the collagen contained in the skin Vitamin C protects against harmful UV rays
- Necessary for the growth, development and repair of all body tissues
- Boosts the immune system
- Prevents hair follicle damage
- Helps protect your hair and strengthen the skin that contains your hair roots
Super Greens - Puresea® Organic Seaweed, vitamins C and E, Vitamin C, selenium for low immunity and rich leafy greens. Helps in maintaining healthy skin and hair and promoting healthy circulation, immune function and metabolism.
What are the benefits?
- Contains 100% organic superfood ingredients
- Supports healthy hair and skin
- Promotes a healthy immune system & metabolic function
- Contributes to cognitive function
- Supports healthy acid alkaline balance
- Improved brain function
- Lowering the risk of heart disease
- Maintains cholesterol level
- Reduce blood pressure
- Provides cardiovascular health
- Improves digestion with added fibre and live cultures
- Good source of vitamins and minerals
- Contains a variety of protective antioxidants
Everyday Wellness – A super strength probiotic supplement containing 6 types of probiotic to help support friendly bacteria levels and promote a healthy gut if unsettled during menopause.
What are the benefits?
- Promotes healthy hair and scalp
- Supports friendly bacteria levels
- Helps promote a healthy digestive tract
- Supports immune and metabolic reaction
- Innovative capsules protect bacteria to ensure optimal effectiveness
Discover Multi-Award Winning Supplements for Menopause
Browse our expertly formulated Ginkgo Biloba B+ supplements specifically designed to provide your body with the nutrients it needs to address menopause hair loss. Save 20% off by subscribing to a monthly order of Ginkgo Biloba B+ , delivered straight to your door each month.
Encourage hair regrowth, with our 3-Step-Plan with Ginkgo Biloba, Super Greens & Everyday Wellness to support your entire body. For more help or guidance on the health of your hair, contact the Simone Thomas Wellness team.