Spicy Cauliflower Soup
Perfect lunch dish you can take to work with you, great for freezing as well. Spicy roasted cauliflower soup topped with crispy chickpeas and kale - warming and filling, made with roasted cauliflower and topped with kale, they are both a great source of sulforaphane.
Sulforaphane may also cause cancer cells to self-destruct, a process known as apoptosis. Research has shown that sulforaphane blocks DNA methylation and controls certain processes in cell cycle progression that would otherwise contribute to the development of cancer.
For the crispy chickpeas and kale:
• 1 can chickpeas (400 g)
• 30 g kale, chopped
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
• Pinch of sea salt to season
For the soup:
• 1 large cauliflower, cut into small pieces
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled
• 3 tbsp harissa paste
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
• Sea salt and black pepper to season
• 1 l vegetable broth
• Preheat the oven to 200°C degrees and line a large tray with baking parchment.
• Drain and rinse the chickpeas and transfer to baking parchment, drizzle with olive oil and season with half a teaspoon of smoked paprika and sea salt.
• Roast for 20 minutes, then wash the kale, drizzle with olive oil and season with smoked paprika and sea salt and roast them together with chickpeas for another 5 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and leave aside but leave the oven on. Line a large tray with baking parchment.
• Place the cauliflower, onion, and garlic into a large bowl, add the harissa paste, olive oil, cinnamon and nutmeg and toss until completely covered in seasoning. Transfer onto a previously prepared baking tray and use your hands or wooden spoon to spread it evenly.
• Bake for around 30 minutes until tender and golden brown on the edges.
• Remove the cauliflower from the oven and transfer it into a blender.
• Place the vegetable broth into a saucepan, bring to boil and add to the cauliflower.
• Blend until smooth and transfer into serving bowls.
• Top with crispy chickpeas and kale and season with black pepper and a pinch of smoked paprika.