These walnut and butternut rolls are full of herby flavours and different textures- I love the balance between buttery, flaky pastry, and crunchy, walnut filling. These are great party food, can be prepared well in advance and popped into the freezer until needed.
Butternut squash and walnuts make a great festive combination of flavours and they will easily become your favourite winter snack. Full of vitamins and minerals they are great for vegetarians and contain beneficial nutrients eye and bone health as well as for building up your immunity.
I always use the best quality all-butter puff pastry I can find as it doesn’t contain any highly processed vegetable shortening.
• 400 g butternut squash, washed, peeled, and chopped into small cubes
• ½ onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• Olive oil
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 150 g walnuts, chopped
• 5 leaves fresh sage, chopped
• 30 g cheddar, grated
• Seal salt and black pepper, to season
• 1 egg
• 500 g all-butter puff pastry
• Sesame seeds
• Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
• Place the butternut squash, onion, and minced garlic cloves in a medium-size bowl, toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
• Spread the butternut squash evenly on a previously prepared tray and bake for 40 minutes until soft and golden brown.
• Remove from the oven and cool.
• Lower the oven temperature to 180°C.
• Transfer the butternut into a large mixing bowl, add chopped walnuts, sage leaves, and cheddar and mix until combined. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
• Unroll the pastry and arrange the butternut mixture along its length.
• Brush the edges with the beaten egg, tightly roll up and seal.
• Brush with more egg, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
• Cut the sausage roll into equal pieces and score with a knife.
• Bake for 20 minutes, until golden.