Burrito bowl is one of the most versatile dishes – you can prepare it just the way you like it and replace the ingredients you do not like with your favourites.
I usually top my burrito bowl with a juicy, oven-baked chicken breast and serve it with a small handful of crunchy tortilla chips and a homemade chive dip on the side. The chicken breast can be easily replaced with tofu, seafood (think baked salmon or prawns) or good quality steak or can be eaten without the extra proteins, just as a colourful mix of wholegrain rice, beans, and beautiful vegetables.
For the chicken breast:
• 2 chicken breasts
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tsp Chipotle chilli paste
• 1 tsp sea salt
• Freshly ground pepper
For the sweet potato wedges:
• 200 g sweet potatoes, chopped
• Olive oil
• ½ tsp paprika
• Pinch of Sea salt
For the chive dip:
• 100 g greek yoghurt
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 5 g fresh chive, chopped
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 tsp lemon juice
For the burrito bowl:
• 250 g brown rice, cooked
• 30 g romaine lettuce, chopped
• 200 g black beans
• 100 g corn
• ½ red onion
• 1 avocado
• 2 cherry tomatoes, quartered
• 50 g tortilla chips
• 1 lime, to serve
• In a large bowl, combine all the chicken breast marinade ingredients together and season with the sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
• Add the chicken breasts and toss gently making sure they are completely covered in the marinade. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
• Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
• Toss the sweet potatoes in the olive oil, paprika and salt and bake for 30 minutes.
• Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven but keep the oven on.
• Take the chicken out of the fridge and place it in the baking dish.
• Bake for around 18 minutes until golden brown, or you if have a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature. The thickest part of the breast should be 75°C.
• Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, mix all the dip ingredients together and season if necessary. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
• Start building your burrito bowl - divide the rice between medium size bowls, and top with the sweet potato wedges, lettuce, black beans, sweetcorn, red onion, avocado mixed with tomatoes and sliced chicken breast.
• Serve with tortilla chips, chive dip and lime wedges on the side.