Kefir Bircher Muesli
I love to wake up to a ready breakfast, that’s why Kefir Bircher Muesli is one of my favourite breakfast foods. Simple but super nutritious, it can be prepared the night before. I love adding extra superfoods to the recipe (a pinch of turmeric, raw honey, and blueberries) and replacing natural yoghurt with kefir for extra gut health benefits. Oats soaked overnight are easier to digest and a great source of fibre which is essential to keeping the digestive system healthy.
You can also add some almond butter for extra proteins and monounsaturated fat which can help to reduce the risk of cancer and lower your cholesterol levels.
• 40 g rolled oats
• 130 ml kefir
• 1 small apple, peeled and grated
• 1 teaspoon raw honey
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• Pinch of cinnamon
• 20 g fresh blueberries
• 10 g mixed nuts, chopped (I use almonds and pistachios)
• 10 g sunflower seeds
• Place the oats, kefir, grated apple, raw honey, turmeric, and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
• In the morning, top with blueberries, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds and serve.
• Feel free to add any extra ingredients you like - a little spoon of almond butter or some extra fruit.