Simone’s Nut Roast
For a lot of people nut roasts can seem uninspiring and bland, but I can guarantee this delicious recipe will be loved by all, meat lovers included. The great combination of Christmas flavours and textures (like cranberries and dried fruits) makes this roast not only filling and delicious but irreplaceable during Christmas Day celebrations. Nut roasts take less than 1 hour to prepare and are packed with antioxidants and fibre.
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 100 g leeks finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 carrot, cut into small cubes
• 100 g canned chickpeas
• 180 g chestnuts, finely chopped
• 100 g mixed nuts, chopped
• 30 g dried cranberries, chopped
• 30 g dried apricots, chopped
• 100 ml vegetarian stock
• 100 g breadcrumbs
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tsp nutmeg
• 1 tsp thyme
• 3 sage leaves
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
• Salt and pepper to season
• Thyme leaves to decorate, optional
• Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
• Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large size pan, add the onion, leeks, garlic and carrot and simmer for 10 minutes over a medium heat.
• Add the chickpeas, chestnuts, nuts, cranberries, apricots, and vegetarian stock and cook for 3 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
• Stir in the breadcrumbs, balsamic vinegar, nutmeg, thyme, sage leaves, eggs and cheese and season with salt and pepper.
• Stir to mix well.
• Spoon the mixture into previously prepared loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes.
• Remove it from the oven, decorate with thyme leaves and let the roast cool slightly before serving.