Mini Vampires Energy Bites
These energy balls are a perfect treat - they are quick to prepare, they do not need baking and are made from very basic ingredients you can easily find in your kitchen cupboard. I enjoy them in the morning with a cup of tea or have them in the late afternoon when I need a little energy boost between meetings with clients.
They are full of protein and fibre - I love to make mine with dark chocolate and chopped nuts but you can easily replace the ingredients with anything you like - dried fruits and a bit of peanut butter for example.These energy balls are made with Medjool dates, which are naturally sticky and sweet, full of fiber and antioxidants. The store-bought energy bars often contain sugar – skip them and make these super healthy balls at home. Kids love them too, especially when they look like super cute Mini vampires!
• 200 g oats
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 100 g mixed nuts, chopped
• 100 g chia needs
• 30 g 70% dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
• 200 g pitted Medjool dates or date paste
• 10 wholegrain crackers
• Pack of edible eyes (I used Wilton Large Candy Edible Eyeballs)
• In a large bowl (if you are using a stand mixer use the stand mixer bowl) combine the oats, salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract, mixed notes, and dark chocolate.
• Add the dates paste in a small amount. Mix slowly, gradually adding more paste until the ingredients combine and the mixture is sticky. If you choose to use your hands or a wooden spoon, the technique is the same - mix all the ingredients until combined.
• Roll the mixture, into 20 g balls and decorate with the edible eyes.
• Break the crackers into two pieces and insert one “wing” on the left of the energy bite and the second one on the right.
• Place into a freezer for around 30 minutes.
• Keep in the jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.