Mushroom Buckwheat (Kasha) “Risotto”
A Taste of Autumn
There is no better time to enjoy aromatic seasonal mushrooms than September. The market shelves are full of different varieties so picking a great quality product is easy. Mushrooms add a really deep, rich flavour to any dish, and I love them with this buckwheat “risotto".
I usually replace white rice with buckwheat for health benefits - it contains a lot of fibre and protein and gives nice nutty flavour to the dish. A very comforting new autumn classic.
• Olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 200 g buckwheat
• 150 ml white wine
• 1 l vegetable stock
• 200 g your favourite mushrooms (I used a mix of chestnut and shiitake mushrooms)
• Bunch of herbs (I used parsley and coriander)
• Sea salt and black pepper
• Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a deep, large frying pan over medium heat, add the onions and garlic and fry until golden. Add the buckwheat and toast for 1 minute.
• Pour in the wine and cook until half of it is reduced.
• Add the vegetable stock in batches and simmer over medium heat for around 25 minutes until buckwheat is cooked.
• Meanwhile, heat up a small frying pan and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Fry the mushrooms until golden. Season with fresh herbs, sea salt and black pepper.
• Add the mushroom to the buckwheat, mix gently and divide between 2 serving bowls.