Porridge With Honey Poached Plums and Walnuts
Porridge is one of my favourite breakfasts for few different reasons. Oats are not only easy to make and delicious but also high in protein and carbohydrates - they take longer to digest, making you feel fuller for longer. Also, because of the fermentable fibre, they are great for your gut health and offer plenty of digestion-boosting benefits. Porridge doesn’t have to be boring and monotonous – it’s all about the toppings!
I love starting my day with a bowl of slowly cooked oats topped-up with my favourite seasonal ingredients with plenty of different textures. Honey poached plums add an extra tangy sweetness to the creamy mixture and the crushed walnuts finish it all up with just the right amount of crunch. Fast, comforting and a simply delicious start of the day.
• 4 plums, quartered and stoned
• 2 tbsp honey
• 100 g instant oats
• 300 ml of your favourite milk (I used almond milk)
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• Pinch of salt
• Freshly grated zest of one small orange
• A handful of crushed walnuts
• 1 tbsp good quality honey or maple syrup
• Heat the plums and honey in a small size pan over medium heat for around 4 minutes on each side, until soft and slightly caramelized. Add a little bit of water if the pan looks too dry. Leave the plums on the side for a couple of minutes.
• Put the oats, milk, cinnamon, salt, and half of the orange zest into a pan and cook for 10 minutes over a very small heat, stirring from time to time.
• Spoon the porridge into two bowls, and top with previously prepared plums, crushed walnuts, rest of the orange zest and some extra honey.